Go To Top capitol dome
Michigan Legislature
Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 15 of 2018
House: Adjourned until Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:30:00 PM
Senate: Adjourned until Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:00:00 AM

Michigan Legislature

Main Content

Section 28.461.amended

MICHIGAN FIREWORKS SAFETY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 256 of 2011

***** 28.461.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 31, 2018 *****



28.461.amended Fireworks safety fund; creation within department of treasury; investment; money remaining in fund; lapse; expenditures; delegation of inspection duties; program.

Sec. 11.

(1) The fireworks safety fund is created within the department of treasury.

(2) The state treasurer may receive money or other assets from any source for deposit into the fund. The state treasurer shall direct the investment of the fund. The state treasurer shall credit to the fund interest and earnings from fund investments.

(3) Money in the fund at the close of the fiscal year shall remain in the fund and shall not lapse to the general fund.

(4) The department shall expend money deposited in the fund as follows:

(a) One hundred percent of the money received from fireworks safety fees under section 8 to be used for the training of firefighters under the direction and approval of the firefighters training council established under the firefighters training council act, 1966 PA 291, MCL 29.361 to 29.377.

(b) One hundred percent of the money received from consumer fireworks safety certificates under section 4 to administer this act and to pay the costs of delegating inspections under this act to local units of government under subsection (5).

(c) One hundred percent of the money received from the fees collected under section 11 of the firefighters training council act, 1966 PA 291, 29.371, to be used for the training of firefighters under the direction and approval of the firefighters training council established under the firefighters training council act, 1966 PA 291, MCL 29.361 to 29.377.

(5) The department may establish a program for delegating inspection duties under this act to 1 or more local units of government. If a local unit of government agrees to carry out inspections, the department shall pay 70% of the consumer fireworks safety certificate fee paid by each retail location inspected by the local unit of government and retain the remaining 30% of that fee. If a local unit of government declines to participate in the program described in this subsection, the department retains its inspection duties under this act.


History: 2011, Act 256, Eff. Jan. 1, 2012 ;-- Am. 2013, Act 65, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2013 ;-- Am. 2017, Act 145, Eff. Jan. 31, 2018


© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

up icon