NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 162 of 1982
450.3149 Books for recording operations; annual report, balance sheet, and income statement; certified report of condition; copies of reports; mailings at request and expense of member; notice of member's desire to be contacted by other members regarding proposal.
(1) A cooperative shall keep a set of books for recording its operations. A written report, including a statement of the amount of its transactions with members and the amount of its transactions with nonmember patrons, a balance sheet, and an income statement shall be prepared annually.
(2) A cooperative shall prepare, not later than 120 days after the close of its fiscal year, a report of its condition, which report shall be certified by the president. The report shall include all of the following:
(a) The name and principal address of the cooperative.
(b) The names, addresses, and date of expiration of terms of the officers and directors, and their rate of compensation, if any.
(c) The number of memberships granted and terminated and the amount of member capital paid in during the fiscal year.
(3) A copy of the reports required by this section shall be presented at the annual membership meeting or distributed to each member. Copies of the report shall be kept on file at the principal office of the cooperative and shall be made available to members, subscribers, and applicants for membership during regular business hours. In addition, copies of the report shall be mailed to a member upon written request by the member.
(4) If a membership address list is not accessible to members, then any mailing reasonably related to the affairs of the membership shall be made by a cooperative at the request and expense of a member.
(5) If a member makes a timely request in writing that a cooperative notify the membership of the member's desire to be contacted by other members regarding a proposal then pending for vote by the membership, the cooperative shall include in the next communication sent by the cooperative to all members, if any, a brief notice of that member's request which shall identify the member and shall state whether the member is for or against the proposal and how to contact that member.
History: Add. 1984, Act 209, Eff. Nov. 1, 1985
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan